And We Have a Date [Legion Edition]

There it is.



We have a concrete date for Legion. Everything in Warlords just got an expiration date. Legion drops between Week 3 and Week 4 of the NFL Preseason. Week 3 is the most important week, the dress rehearsal. Week 4 is pretty much a bunch of guys who won't be on the team the following Sunday.

As far as my own Legion plans, the only thing I know for certain right now is that I want to stick with my Paladin. He's been my main forever and even the couple of times I tried to switch, I always seem to come back to him. After that, I'm lost.

The artifact system has me concerned. As a hybrid, I need both artifacts, I would argue that really Druids, Monks and Paladins need all 3. Its still not clear from Alpha if we can even get all three. Even if we CAN get all three, it sounds like maintaining even two is difficult. Blizzard Watch writer, Matthew Rossi mentioned in today's Queue:

At present my level 109 Warrior has the Arms and Fury Artifacts and switches between them based on mood. It’s rough and if there’s a catch up mechanic in the alpha I have not seen it — I’m forced to simply split my Artifact Power items between Artifacts, and as a result neither is as progressed as it should be. If they do implement such a [catch up] mechanic, I’d be all for it. Right now, you basically can be a dilettante like me, or you can have focus and get one of the Artifacts leveled at a reasonable pace, but you can’t have both.
Image that instead of Arms and Fury, he said Fury and Prot, or in my case Ret and Prot. I can see this being a very common scenario for many hybrids. If maintaining only two artifacts is rough, maintaining three must be almost Herculean.

If we are limited to only two, then that effectively locks Druids, Monks, and Paladins out of their third spec. If your guild ever needs you to switch to that third spec, it likely won't be an option. This will only put more pressure on the shortage of geared tanks and healers at endgame. Right now, any Druid, Paladin or Monk could get geared reasonably quickly and be able to slot into your team. In Legion, that might not even be an option.

It also discourages players from experimenting. All specs are getting changed to some extent, though not all as radically as Shadow Priest or Survival Hunter. If a Hunter wants to try Survival, but then finds out that yeah, he's still not digging melee, then, with only two artifacts, he's locked out of either Beast Mastery or Marksmanship. The problem only gets worse as some issues with a spec won't appear until max level and by then you blown a bunch of artifact power on the 'wrong' one.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the changes to Holy. It looks like its finally the front line healer I've always wanted it to be. I could still be in a support role but still have the team aspect of DPS. As a Tank, there no one else to pick up your slack. DPS and to an extent, healers have someone else there. Also, mistakes are less impactful in a Healer or DPS. Many times, a mistake by the Tank leads directly to a wipe. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

I've never done much healing and I've not loved it when I have . I've always been Prot/Ret. If we really can only get two 2 artifacts, I can't even consider trying out Holy because if I wind up not liking it, I've locked myself out of either Ret or Prot. How can I give Holy a real shot when I'm dumping Artifact power into Prot or Ret.

I don't know what to do about my spec. Tanking has long been my first love in game but I have to face the reality that I don't have the time to devote to my character which I'll be behind in gearing and neither my DPS artifact nor my tanking artifact are leveled up enough. It's great to have an experience bar beyond max level, but it may mean someone like me never catches up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation